One crazy scholarship - Physician Assistant - PA ~ Changing Careers: Physician Assistant Bound
Changing Careers: Physician Assistant Bound: One crazy scholarship - Physician Assistant - PA

Monday, October 31, 2011

One crazy scholarship - Physician Assistant - PA


I have mentioned before but I received a scholarship from the National Health Service Corps. I recently returned from a 3 day conference in New Orleans which provided guidance, information and an outlook to our lives with the service corps. I walked away with a new and increased appreciation for the cause and have taken on the role of an ambassador for the program; to increase awareness and help where I am able to help.

As a scholar the service corps pays full tuition, expenses, and provides a living stipend to help pay for housing. In return the scholar agrees to work in an underserved primary health care facility. For 2 years of scholarship I am required to work for 2 years in such an environment. Ultimately the corps would desire the individual to internalize the commitment and decide to make a career commitment to working in underserved communities.

I will have several other post about the scholarship program as there is too much to say. At the conference there were 200+ recipients out of 3000+ applicants. Medical Students, PA students, Nurse practitioner students, Nurse mid-wives, and dental students are the individuals who received the scholarship. The trip was all paid for with great food, great hotel, and great environment to have a good time. nhsc.hrsa.gov for more info

2 comments:

  1. Ben - Congratulations on your scholarship! Well done and well deserved! I read through your entire blog and even purchased your e-book. You're a real inspiration and I have a lot of respect for people like you. Would you be willing to correspond with me via email as I pursue a path to fulfilling my dream of becoming a PA?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete