Countdown until June is on ~ Changing Careers: Physician Assistant Bound
Changing Careers: Physician Assistant Bound: Countdown until June is on

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Countdown until June is on

A few more months and I will be able to provide some informative posts about life during pa school. I have received packets of information from the program and it definitely seems more real. I really look forward to the experiences and I can't wait to begin. Looking back on the steps taken to get to this point is a bit overwhelming but it has been great. The more I work with and around PA's the more excited I am about the profession. It truly is a great career choice with many different fields, specialties, and areas to practice. At this point I believe I want to work 3 days a week in the ER and hopefully 1 or 2 days in oncology. The ER experiences have been great and the ER director has the intent to hire me upon graduation. Perhaps my mind will change after rotations....

2 comments:

  1. Ben,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I'm in a similar position. I have recently graduated with a BA in advertising, however I'm completely over the 8-5 desk work, dead end jobs already. I am interested in becoming a PA because of I feel that it's meaningful work. You're making a difference in someones life--helping them in their time of need. And it could lead to many different paths--surgery,ER, etc. I have several concerns, however: As a recent graduate I'm going to be receiving my student loans payments and I'm already in debt. I'm going to need to obtain all my prereqs which will take me about 2 years and on top of that obtain certification for paid patient care hours. It's a long path. I'm currently trying to schedule shadowing to get a better understanding of the PA environment. Do you have any pointers or comments that could help me out? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment, Thanks!! I know how you feel. I left a very high paying job to return back to school and begin taking science pre-requisite classes at a local junior college. A huge financial sacrifice and a hit to my pride. However, the two years went by, I met some great people who were facing similar situations, and learned a lot. Becoming an EMT doesn't cost that much, becoming a volunteer and shadowing is free and can count towards your hours. I was able to volunteer during the night shift two days a week and I really racked up the hours. Even with debt you will be able to obtain more loans for school. Research the schools that are less expensive and do everything to make yourself a qualified applicant. I guess the best advice I have is to grind out the next few years and you will build character that the interview committee's will appreciate. They will appreciate your hard work and sacrifice to enter this new career path.

    ReplyDelete